Unnao rape case, the
CBI filed a chargesheet on Wednesday against BJP MLA
Kuldeep Singh Sengar and his woman accomplice, Shashi Singh, for the alleged rape of a minor girl at his residence on June 4, 2017.
The CBI has thrown the book at the MLA from Bangarmau and charged him for kidnapping, rape, criminal conspiracy, criminal intimidation and under Sections 3 and 4 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, along with Shashi. The woman aide allegedly lured the survivor to the house of the MLA on June 4 last year on the pretext of providing her a job, after which she was raped around 8pm while Shashi stood guard outside the room.
The case grabbed national headlines after the survivor levelled the allegations and Sengar’s brother was arrested for an assault on the minor’s father, who later died in judicial custody. Police as well as doctors who examined the girl’s father after he was assaulted were hauled up for failing to refer him for medical attention and instead sending him to jail. The agency has relied on the statements of the survivor and her mother before additional sessions judge in Unnao in February this year. The role of police officials in Unnao is still under investigation and their names have not been included in the chargesheet as yet but it might be done at a future date.
The CBI took due note of the girl’s statement, recorded before a magistrate under Section 164 of CrPC, to which she “stood by” throughout the probe. Subsequently, the CBI found that the version given by the MLA in his defence didn’t match with corroborative evidence. Sengar’s claim that he was not in Unnao on the day of the crime didn’t match with records of his cellphone and other evidence. CBI sources said the MLA failed to provide a legally tenable alibi for himself for the day when the incident allegedly took place.
TOI had exclusively reported on May 12
+ , a month after Sengar’s arrest, that CBI had corroborated the rape charge against the MLA and would file a chargesheet against him for raping the minor. The case had become politically contentious, with claims being made that MLA was not guilty of sex assault.
CBI sources further confirmed that the survivor was again gang-raped by a different set of accused between June 11 and June 20, 2017. The investigation on this aspect of the case is continuing and the CBI will soon file a separate chargesheet against the other set of accused. While the rape survivor consistently named Sengar and other accused for raping her in her complaint to cops, UP police deliberately kept the MLA’s name out of the FIR. They also delayed her medical test and didn’t send vaginal swabs or her clothes to the forensic lab. The agency said that after her rape on June 4, the victim kept silent as she had been threatened. Faced with the embarrassment of the
BJP MLA being involved in the rape case, the state referred the matter to the CBI in April.